Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2013

What Makes a House a Home? Gifts from Friends!


Yesterday I had lunch with my friend Kara, a truly lovely person who I don't get to see nearly often enough. Kara and I used to work together at [COMPANY] before she left to become a full-time mom.  I stayed on until recently when [COMPANY] was bought by [OTHER COMPANY] and I, like hundreds of others, was swept up in a mass layoff and dumped into the trash heap like yesterday's TPS reports, after 12 years of hard work and dedication. But I am not bitter.

While I was still with [COMPANY] and we were all waiting to find out if we would get to keep our jobs, there was a lot of reference to The Bobs scene in the movie "Office Space." Well, there was a lot of reference to it by those of us who love the movie, mingled with expressions of horror and pity towards those of our coworkers who had never seen it. (Seriously, how do you work in an office and not know this movie?  I submit that it should be shown by HR to all incoming employees:  "Yes, what you are about to see is a comedy. But it illuminates Great Truths about the absurdities you will be subjected to every. single. day. that you toil in corporate America.  And the sooner you accept this, the happier you will be.")

So instead my usual song of the day, I bring you "The Bobs:"

Tom Defends His Job 
(From the movie, "Office Space" 2oth Century Fox, 1999)

I've always believed John C. McGinley should get some kind of Comedy Achievement Award for his delivery of the line, "What would you say...ya DO here?"

I didn't have an exit interview quite so brutal, but I did find myself unemployed, for the first time since I was 15 years old. While this was a revolting development, it freed up all kinds of time and explains how I was able to purchase, build, paint, shingle, and almost completely furnish Ange's Dollhouse in a little more than month, and start this blog about it. (Note to potential employers:  See, this is the kind of results-oriented hard work, enthusiasm, time-management skills, and attention to detail that I bring to the table!)

Wonderful Things


So getting back to my lunch with Kara. She is the person who inspired me to blog a few months ago, when we had another lunch with some of our current and former [COMPANY] coworkers. That's when I found out that Kara writes a beautiful and very popular blog about crocheting, Petals to Picots, which I have been following ever since. I am in awe of her talent. She creates her own patterns - including one for the dolls below. I think they are absolutely gorgeous! The pattern is available at her Etsy shop:  Petals to Picot - Crocheted Doll Pattern

 Adorable Crocheted Dolls - pattern from Petals to Picots

After our delicious lunch, we were chatting over a cup of tea about what we've been doing, and I told her about my new hobby and the blog. Kara asked, "Ooh, do you want some stuff for the house?" and I was like, "Is the Pope Catholic?" (Stuff for the mini house is pretty much ALL I want these days. I'm hoping at some point I will regain an interest in buying other things, like maybe clothes and books and accessories for the house I actually live in. But for now, not so much.)  She disappeared into some part of her house that must be way more organized than mine, and produced this little tub full of tiny things, telling me to take my pick!

Now besides the fact that they are wonderful unto themselves, I'll tell you what makes these things so amazingly special. All of the items below came from a dollhouse that Kara's grandfather built for her when she was a child. The house is long gone, but it was much played with and loved by Kara in its day. The fact that she would share these with me is so sweet and generous that it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I will always treasure them.

Beautiful blue enamelware dishes


Pots and bowls

Hip bath and pitcher

Miscellaneous kitchen accessories

An embarrassment of riches!

When you look around your house, it's the things that remind you of family and friends that touch your heart and make you the happiest. And now when I look into the Mini House and see these things, I will always think of my friend and smile.  Thank you again, Kara!!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful vintage pieces. Enjoy a wonderful friend's gifts.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ange,
    Sorry about your job. I'm sure you'll find a new one, better than this. I wish you good luck and the best.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Drora! I really appreciate the good wishes :)

      Delete
  3. Lol! I laughed and cried :) You are most welcome! I love those pieces and am so glad that they have found a home with someone who can appreciate and love them as much as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely with good friends and lovely gifts. I wish you luck whit finding your new dream job.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ange! I know what you mean about having things from your friends in your home, including your mini home. It just means so much more. I look around my dollhouses and see so many sweet gifts from blog friends. I am reminded of these friends on a regular basis, and it feels so nice. Those gifts from your friend are real treasures--how sweet! I hope you stick around blogland for a long time. :-) xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ange,
    I am kind of glad thigs happened as they did because it emans we get to know you and your work. This is why I warn people who live for work. At the end of the day, if they have to cut they will not think twice.
    Those crochet dolls are just wonderful! What great minis.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giac! And there is wisdom in what you say - I think many of us who went through this learned a lesson about living for work :)

      Delete
  7. Ohhhh... this reminds me of the dollhouse my Grandmother kept when I was little. I'm not one to keep a dollhouse myself but seeing the tiny little accessories always brings back such fond memories.

    I absolutely agree with you about Office Space... I have a printer I'd like to go "Office Space" on myself... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Adrienne, me too! And when I'm cursing at my printer, I always think to myself that Michael Bolton didn't know how much worse things could get - he never had to deal with a WIRELESS printer!

      Delete
  8. I know Kara because I am a fellow blogger/crocheter and she is such an awesome person! I am so jealous that you get to be friends with her in real life! LOL! So sorry to hear about your corporate job, but happy that you have found a new job: blogging! :) I am excited to see more of this cute dollhouse you are working on! And btw, LOVE Office Space. One of the best movies ever! -Sarah @ Repeat Crafter Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I am sorry to say it, but your jealousy is justified, LOL. Kara is just as nice in real life as she seems on her blog:)

      Delete