Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Walls Go Up!


At the beginning of this project, I assumed that Bob would help me, but his level of engagement has exceeded my most optimistic expectations.  It really has been very interesting getting all these hundreds of parts ready to form into a house, like a giant complex puzzle, and he's been helpful every step of the way.

So today we really started to build!  The instructions called for using tape to hold the pieces together while the glue dried, adding just a few nails for strength. Well, Bob was having none of that.  He used clamps, and added so many extra nails that I think the house will be strong enough for me to actually live in when it's finished.

First the base had to be assembled:



Then the base was flipped over and the back wall nailed and glued into place:



The first side wall was nailed and glued:


The other side wall was nailed and glued:



The first floor wall liners were glued in place:



The second floor, resting on the wall liners, were glued and nailed in place:



The second floor wall liners were added:



The third floor, resting on the second floor wall liners, was glued and nailed into place.



Finally, the the roof base was added.



I was relieved once all the floors were added that my paint job was accurate - the floors covered the lines where the two colors meet perfectly.

I chose this house because it was a simple design but at this point in the construction, it is a little underwhelming.  Behold, I have built a book shelf! Still, now that it exists in three-dimensional form, I am even more obsessed - if possible - with finishing the house. I can't wait to see how it turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment