Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Fireplace - from drab to fab


Today's theme music:


Yesterday as I stared into the Mini House, which I do with alarming frequency, the thought occurred to me, "There is too much wood. The fireplace needs to be white."

The little fireplace was the very first thing I bought, before the Mini House was even built.  It is clearly a fireplace, but that's about the best thing I can say about it.  Although I bought it an antique store, it was less than $5.00 so I wasn't concerned about depriving the world of a priceless artifact should this project go horribly wrong, as they sometimes do.  (See my post "The Sofa Debacle.")




First I sanded it down. 



Then I painted the whole thing white.  It was a big improvement, but I felt that more could be done. 

Somewhere in my dollhouse travels, I picked up a furniture kit - I think it was to build a shaker dry sink - that didn't have any instructions, but I thought I could figure it out.  Wrong!  But I'm not sorry, because now I have dozens of tiny pieces of wood that keep coming in handy.  I played around with some of them until I got an arrangement that I liked...



...and then threw another couple of coats of white paint over the whole thing, and I'm now much happier with it. 




Easiest project ever!
Fireplace:  Drab
Fireplace:  Fab

I added the gold fireplace thingies and some cinnamon sticks for logs.  I think it will look good in the bedroom, instead of the parlor where it has been up until now.



5 comments:

  1. much more elegant this way, great choice1

    ReplyDelete
  2. El resultado es fantastico, me encanta como te ha quedado.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bienvenidos, y muchas gracias, Ascension!!

      Delete
  3. I love all your little accent pieces ... such beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete