Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Book Review: The Dollhouse Sourcebook


It was a challenge to find a song that related to today's post!  I went with this song because it's from "Back to the Future," an awesome movie about time travel :)


Since I'm in my annual state of PCBSC (Post-Christmas Borderline Sugar Coma) resulting from the 25 kinds of awesome cookies my sister always makes and my pathetic inability to resist them, I am feeling lazy today.  So I thought I would just post a review I wrote at Amazon.com.  

I like reading books about dollhouses almost as much as I like checking out dollhouse blogs, and dollhouses themselves.  This is a hobby that gives on so many levels!



The Dollhouse Sourcebook, by Caroline Clifton-Mogg


I borrowed this from the library and loved it so much I had to buy it.

The book is organized by chapters that cover different rooms - drawing room, dining room, library, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc.  Each chapter describes how the function of that particular room, and the furniture used within it, evolved over the centuries. This information is well written and informative, and accompanied by beautiful full color photos of miniature rooms representing different periods and styles - Tudor, Georgian, Edwardian, Victorian, etc. I also love how the author includes excerpts from letters and diary entries to offer glimpses of how people actually living in that time period described the various rooms - it's like a little bit of time travel!

If you are on the fence about whether or not you want to get into this hobby, I would advise you to stay away from this book - because if I wasn't already obsessed, I would be after flipping through it. No matter what style you are interested in, this book will be a source of inspiration for decorating your dollhouse. I have owned it for months and I find something new and interesting every time I open it.

---------------------------------------------

I also wanted to welcome to Ruth and Drora - thank you for following me and wishing you both all the best in 2013!!




2 comments:

  1. Ahh that book looks lovely, more mini madness to feed on ;)

    I sit here before bed with my laptop and read the miniatures.com catalog like a good book to place mini dreams in my head ;P

    Look forward to seeing more from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! LOL, I do the SAME thing with the miniatures.com catalog, so glad to find I'm not alone in this quirk. Hey, do you have the catalog from the Dollhouse Emporium (dheminis.com)? OMG, that one is even more drool-worthy! They are based in England (but shipping is free over $99), and their catalog is full of beautiful dollhouses that you don't see in the US, plus thousands of miniatures that are arranged in little room displays, so you can see exactly how the stuff would look in that setting. My husband noticed me pouring over the catalog every day at breakfast and gave me a gift certificate for Christmas :)

      Delete